Destination: Greece: Santorini
Just down the road from Perivolas is a similar hotel called Katikies, where friends have stayed. Again, for those who care more about the stunning view and unique appeal of dwelling in a stylish cave, it could be a good choice, but for true luxury lovers, Vedema and its sister property Mystique offer more polished experiences. Overall, I found the honeycomb architecture of the cave dwelling rooms more appealing to look at than to inhabit, as they don’t offer a lot of privacy.
An Indagare member who has stayed at the property writes: “Katikies was truly magical. The setting simply cannot be beat, but it is the service and serenity of the place that made it superlative. The favorite phrase of the staff is, ‘Of course.’ When asked if you can have a private motorboat ride at 3:34 am, they are likely to answer with that favored phrase. The room I had (room 40, which was one of the nicer ones) was terrific. Very private, great decor, you felt as if you were at your own private beach house. When you order breakfast in your room in the morning, be prepared for it to show up beautifully prepared and in about 5 minutes. Just phenomenal service. The only warning I would give is there are a lot of stairs, but this is par for the course in Santorini. This is a perfect honeymoon place, and I will say that going without a romantic partner is probably not the best idea. It’s best suited for couples.”
Who Should Stay: Couples looking for romance (no children under the age of 13 are allowed)
Search By Keyword
Now that many of its beloved museums and monuments have...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.