Destination: Russia: St. Petersburg
Declared “the most abstract and intentional city on earth” by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, St. Petersburg is a destination of palaces, canals and museums, intoxicating culture and tragic and triumphant history.
Also in this report: The city’s best hotels under Where to Stay, authentic restaurants under Where to Eat, sights not to miss under What to See & Do, and a guide to the shopping scene under Where to Shop.
INDAGARE TOP TEN
SLEEP… at the exquisite Four Seasons Lion Palace
EXPERIENCE… the one of the top art collections in the world at the Hermitage’s Winter Palace
SPLURGE… on a private guide who can bring the history of the Catherine Palace or Pavlosk Palace to life
EAT… rare Beluga caviar at the glamorous Caviar Bar & Restaurant
DRINK… cocktails on the terrace at Mansarda before dinner
SAVOR… a view of the Neva River by night and a performance at the Mariinsky theater
VISIT… the dancing fountains at Catherine the Great’s Summer Palace, Peterhof
SEE… the tombs of the Romanov family and the controversial statue of Peter the Great at Peter and Paul Fortress
SHOP… for reproduction Imperial porcelain at the Lomonsov Porcelain Factory, 20 minutes outside the city
KNOW… the time to visit is during White Nights from June – July when the sun barely dips below the horizon, or in winter when the city becomes a snowy wonderland.
Search By Keyword
While it may lack some of the charm of jetset...
One of the oldest cities in the Netherlands, Maastricht has...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.