Destination: California: Los Angeles
The nearly year-round sunny climate is the heart of L.A.’s charisma, sustaining its casual-fashion fixation, freewheeling spirit, bright-pink bougainvilleas and towering palms—which happen to be on the endangered list, victims of old age and fungal disease; they may be replaced with native shade-producing trees. It does rain occasionally (mostly in February). When the marine layer rolls in at night, temperatures drop enough to almost always require some sort of jacket (or a light coat in winter). And heat waves in August and September can be stultifying. Still, one of the city’s cultural high points occurs only in summer—the open-air classical and pop concerts at the historic Hollywood Bowl, where picnicking in box seats is a competitive sport. Many posh restaurants pack picnic meals for it, as does the Bowl itself (323-850-2000; www.hollywoodbowl.org). Spring brings forth a different kind of pleasure—house and garden tours, most of which double as charity fund-raisers. Some of the best include the Garden Conservancy’s Open Days tour (888-842-2442; www.opendaysprogram.org); the Los Angeles County Museum of Art’s Art & Architecture Tour (323-857-6287); the Robinson Gardens’ “… into the garden” Benefit Tour, including lunch at the six-acre Virginia Robinson estate in Beverly Hills (310-276-5367; www.robinson-gardens.com); and the Venice Art Walk’s Art & Architecture Tours and Artists’ Studio Tours (310-392-9255; www.venicefamilyclinic.org).
Search By Keyword
Known as an eco and adventure destination, this Central American...
Bali is more enticing than ever, having undergone a frenzy...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.