Destination: Mexico: Tulum
Vibe: Designer, upscale, scene.
At a Glance: Banish visions of thatched-roof beach bungalows. Be Tulum is a member of Design Hotels and boldly features sleek interiors and minimalist chic.
Review: Visitors who like the idea of Tulum but cannot handle rustic rooms only have one option: Be Tulum, which offers air-conditioning and 24-hour electricity (not a given at most hotels in the area). Rooms and suites are for adults only and feature dark Brazilian wood detailing, large floor-to-ceiling windows, freestanding bathtubs, ceiling fans and select touches of color in the textiles used throughout. The sexy pool and lounge area would not look out of place in Miami or Los Angeles, with cool designer chairs and dramatic lighting at night. The rooftop bar is pure Mexico, though with expansive views and a laid-back ambience. The hotel is about a 10-minute drive to the town of Tulum. Children must be 12 years or older.
Vibe: Cool, sceny, laid-back.
At a Glance: In walking distance to La Zebra and many restaurants, Violeta is a central hub for many Tulum visitors who come for yoga in the morning and lunch at its lovely restaurant.
Review: If you choose the right room at this beach bungalow hotel, it can offer the perfect backdrop for a relaxed beachside holiday. Getting one of the suites that faces the nice stretch of white sand beach is key: Magnolia is the largest suite and is the closest cabana to the beach on all of Tulum’s beaches. It has glass windows so you can see the ocean from your bed. Jasmine is also beachfront and has an outdoor shower with a perfect view of the stars. For parents with a little one, book Rosa Nautica which has an additional bed in the room perfect for small children. Casa Violeta is just a two-minute walk on the beach to La Zebra, the best place for breakfast and brunch in the area.
Search By Keyword
Insider picks from Athens and the best island, including Mykonos,...
The city is teeming with refreshing new energy, and is...
The Dutch capital is the kind of city where you'll...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.