Destination: Mexico: Tulum
Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve
Biosphere reserve is a term Unesco uses to designate conservation projects that “encompass a mosaic of ecological systems.” In the case of the stunning 1.3 million-acre Sian Ka’an (whose name means “where the sky is born”), these include beaches, dunes, reefs, wetlands, mangrove swamps and tropical forest. It’s home to more than three hundred bird species, including pink flamingos and pelicans, as well as to jaguars, manatees, spider monkeys, crocodiles and turtles. The best way to visit is by booking an excursion through Community Tours, a local organization that is committed to preserving the area’s spectacular environment and working with the Mayan villages that are located within Sian Ka’an’s borders.
Search By Keyword
Imagine a Grand Canyonesque landscape with clusters of wild, wind-sculpted...
Nashville exudes charm, southern gentility and laid-back ease, bewitching all...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.