Destination: Laos: Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang can easily be toured in 4 days (3 nights). Here is an itinerary that covers the main sights/activities and builds in plenty of down-time.
Touring with a guide (contact Indagare for an introduction to our preferred specialists) who can explain the historical context, the vibrant temple life, the cultural and artistic heritage and take visitors to local markets and the weaving and paper-making village.
Depending on preference and sensibility, book an excursion to Elephant Village whose half-day program begins around 8:30a.m. and lasts until 2:30/3p.m.
Foodies might want to consider a cooking class at Tamarind or L’Elephant, while the crafty can take a weaving workshop at Ock Pop Tok or the Traditional Arts and Ethnology Centre). The afternoon can be spent browsing in town and shopping the specialty boutiques.
Rise early and have your hotel organize a private excursion to the Pak Ou Caves, a 45-minute-long boat ride up the Mekong. The Amantaka especially excels at organizing this journey for its guests. Spend the afternoon at your resort (spa treatments, pool time) or back in town shopping or having coffee and French pastries.
Rise early (5:30 a.m.) and witness the daily alms ceremony of the monks. Avoid having your hotel drive you to the center of the action; a much more mystical and quiet way to arrive is to bike through the dark streets that are slowly coming to life. A good spot to witness the procession is close to the 3 Nagas, as the main stretch of Sisavangvung is crammed with camera-toting tourists.
After seeing the saffron-colored procession, have a coffee at Le Banneton. Afterwards, it’s a great time to visit the local fresh market, which is in full gear by that time.
Search By Keyword
Long a bastion of understated cool, the Danish capital is...
With miles of biking, walking and riding trails, scores of...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.