Qatar is a tiny Middle Eastern country that juts into the turquoise waters of the Persian Gulf and shares a border with Saudi Arabia. One royal family rules the country under Islamic Sharia law but the culture is considered liberal for the region and the government is a long-standing ally of the United States. Qatar is perhaps best-known as the home of Al Jazeera, the pioneering Arabic news network, and increasingly, cultural attractions like the new I.M. Pei-designed Museum of Islamic Art and the Doha Tribeca Film Festival.
For a long time Qatar was a dusty backwater whose main industry was pearl diving. But in recent decades the discovery that the country sits on massive reserves of natural gas has sent its economy rocketing into the stratosphere. Today its GDP per capita of $145,300 is the highest in the world. Comparisons are often drawn between its capital of Doha and the oil-rich cities of Dubai and Abu Dhabi, though Doha is less developed and smaller than either. For now.
“Those there,” said our driver as we pass...
Search By Keyword
Its own continent but most often reached from South America....
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.