Still considered somewhat of a traveler’s secret, Jordan is home to a number of the world’s most extraordinary historical sites, including the “Lost City” of Petra, the Roman ruins of Jerash, the desert of Wadi Rum and the Dead Sea.
INDAGARE TOP TEN:
EXPERIENCE…the spiritual view from Mount Nebo, where Moses first saw the Holy Land and on a clear day you can see Jericho and Jerusalem
SPLURGE…on a private boat to go scuba diving on the Red Sea, which has one of top coral reefs for snorkeling and diving in the world
EAT… a Middle Eastern breakfast of pita with lebneh (thick yogurt) and zatar (olive oil and thyme)
DRINK…delicious Middle Eastern lemonade, which is served with lots of crushed mint and ice
SAVOR… the best local food in the country at a former residence that has been turned into a charming restaurant
VISIT… Jerash, one of the best-preserved Roman ruins in the world, equaling Turkey’s Ephessus and Rome’s Colosseum in terms of scale and importance
SEE… Petra, one of the New Seven Wonders of the World
SHOP…for Dead Sea mud products (Re-Life is the best line) with healing mineral benefits
KNOW… which guide to tour the country with and which books to read for historical context before you arrive
Read an Indagare Member postcard about their week-long trip to Jordan
Search By Keyword
The largest single-mountain ski resort in North America is better...
To quote the renowned historian Alan Morehead, "Anyone who can...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.