Destination: France: Belle-Île
Here’s what I’d suggest for dining on Belle-Île.
There are a handful places in Sauzon. Café de la Cale (Quai Guerveur; 33-2-97-31-65-74) is perfect for lunch. Sit outside on the modern terrace to appreciate the view of the boast or inside for a cozy atmosphere.
At Roz Avel (33-2-97-31-61-48), a room lined in dark wood, Breton antiques and belongings of the owner’s grandmother set the tone. I tried a memorable dish of local lamb here.
And at Le Contre Quai (33-2-97-31-60-60), the chef still swears by his mother’s salad-dressing recipe (the secret is the salt). It’s the island’s most inventive (successfully inventive!) restaurant. The mussels with a touch of coconut milk and fresh ginger were divine.
IN LE PALAIS
I actually went twice to the pub-like Le Goeland (33-2-97-31-81-26), right on the port, because of the informal, almost fraternal atmosphere. You talk with your neighbor, the chef comes out to grill the fish in the fireplace, and the bread itself is worth the detour.
There is an airy garden in the Auberge Chouk’Aze (33-2-97-31-79-69), in Locmaria, with the terrace painted in bright reds and yellows opening onto a garden. The ambience is homey rather than sophisticated.
Search By Keyword
A hiker's paradise, the Italian Dolomites offers glorious landscapes and...
Accessible by train and a handful of electric taxis only,...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.