Destination: China: Hong Kong
Hong Kong is the natural gateway to China, and while you can fly directly to the Middle Kingdom cities of Beijing and Shanghai from all parts of the world these days, many people prefer a comfort-zone stopover in the city. Now is a great time to go, as the entire place is on an economic roll, bursting with pride at its shiny new collection of five-star hotels and cutting-edge restaurants. The prime tourist draw, the Peak Tower, reached by a near-vertical tram ride up the mountain, has reopened after a major revamp. On the outskirts, a new cable-car ride takes passengers over the Lantau Mountains and along a plateau, dropping passengers off near the Big Buddha statue.
For all the recently added attractions, though, the most thrilling ride of all costs just 25 cents. Riding the Star Ferry across the harbor, especially at dusk, when the neon signs and skyscraper lights are switched on, remains one of the world’s great journeys. There was a major kerfuffle when the Hong Kong ferry terminal was demolished, replaced by a building that is slightly farther away and built in a faux-historical style. It provoked a rare bout of activism in a city where people are usually far too busy making money to spend time protesting.
Search By Keyword
Known as the Blue City for its cobalt-painted facades, Jodhpur...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.