When I recently visited southern Maine, a freak cold spell forced temperatures into the 50s, with overcast skies and passing rain showers. That it felt like April rather than June may have kept my four-year-old daughter out of the freezing sea (she improvised by taking her snorkel gear into our hotel’s roomy bathtub), but it didn’t deter from the fact that the fabled New England region is in midst of an exciting hotel rejuvenation. Since we were forced to spend more time at our resorts than we would have in hot summer weather, we were able to really discover and enjoy the innovations of three special properties, all of which were recently updated.
Maine has long been a conundrum for city escapees, with accommodation choices (for those not invited to a friend’s summer home) mostly limited to musty B&Bs. But the beauty of the rugged Atlantic coastline, not to mention the fresh lobster and cool ocean breezes (welcome during the dog days of July and August, if not during a freak June cold spell), have continually drawn New Yorkers and Bostonians north.
This summer, there’s relief from more than the city heat. Three new – or new-ish – properties in Southern Maine are finally giving sophisticated travelers hotel options that don’t look like great Aunt Edna’s house. Add these to your list and keep them there until October. Although I wish the weather had been better during my stay, I can also now attest that Maine is equally charming from a cozy fireplace as on an open beach.
- For Hip Family Cottages: Hidden Pond
- For A Classic Inn Updated: Tides Beach Club
- For A Beach Resort: Inn by the Sea
Search By Keyword
Star couturiers and luxury boutiques have transformed Milan into Italy’s...
Cacophonous and colorful, Delhi is rich with tradition and culture.
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.