Destination: Thailand: Chiang Mai
Four Seasons Chiang Mai
Vibe: Lush, local experience, serene
At a Glance: A stunning and peaceful retreat, with pavilions, villas and private residences respectfully built among the rice fields.
The Four Seasons Chiang Mai is located forty minutes from the city of Chiang Mai, where the urban center recedes to rice fields and country paths. The property is very lush, and the nighttime ambiance is set by a chorus of cicadas and croaking bull frogs.
The resort features unexpected examples of local life and activity. For example, your visit will surely include an encounter with a few beasts of burden tending to their afternoon chores. Two one-ton water buffalos, known as Mr. Tong and his Stepbrother, roam the property with their shepherd, munching on grass and curiously interacting with passersby. A peaceful replacement for the rowdy engines of tractors and weed-wackers that typically provide background noise for sprawling resorts.
The property features 64 pavilions, 12 pool villas, 17 residences and 5 residence villas—all with ample private outdoor space. Décor throughout the property includes teak wood floors, vaulted ceilings, and Siamese art. Many of the villas and residences have private pools, which guests can enjoy in addition to the two main pools built into the rice fields.
Both on and off-property, you’ll find plenty to occupy your time. Start with a breakfast bike around the country roads stopping off at nearby galleries and shops. Have a relaxing afternoon by the pool or take a cooking class, and end your day with sunset cocktails and retire early for another day exploring the region at Patara Elephant Farm, hiking to nearby hill tribe stations, touring the temples of Chiang Mai, or exploring the village known for the best antiques in Thailand, Hang Dong.
As one comes to expect in Thailand, the service is impeccable. But Four Seasons takes it the extra mile, providing their staff with regular English classes to improve their language skills. Guests will see the same familiar faces assisting in the Cooking School as they do at breakfast, which supports a warm familiarity even if you’re staying for a short time.
Four Seasons Chiang Mai is truly a place where honeymooners, families and professional groups all feel welcome, and despite their motives for staying, will all share in their hesitation to leave.
- Yoga on open-air platforms nestled in the rice paddies
- Cooking School offers a chance to practice some of the Thai culinary techniques
- Nearby hiking and bicycling to enjoy the landscape and culture
Search By Keyword
While it may lack some of the charm of jetset...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.