Destination: California: Carmel
Thanks to a host of activities, stunning landscapes and gorgeous resorts, the area surrounding the Pacific Coast’s Carmel is a wonderful destination for the entire family.
INDAGARE TOP TEN
SLEEP…at the Post Ranch Inn in one of the most romantic hotel rooms in the country
EXPERIENCE…the toughest golf course on the peninsula at Pebble Beach’s Spyglass
SPLURGE…on a meal at the award-winning gourmet restaurant Marinus, at Bernardus Lodge
EAT…delicious paella at the Spanish restaurant Mundaka in Carmel-by-the-Sea
DRINK…award-winning wine at one of Monterey’s top vineyards such as Bernardus or Château Julien
SAVOR…a gourmet grass-fed ground beef burger from the Hearst Cattle Ranch when you visit the Hearst Castle at San Simeon
VISIT…the Monterey Bay Aquarium, but sign up online in advance for a behind-the-scenes tour
SEE…the elephant seals lounging on the beach just north of the Hearst Castle exit on Highway 1
SHOP…in the charming town of Carmel, where every boutique seems to have treats for pets
INDULGE…in a drive down to Big Sur to see the iconic coastal route (then spend a night at the Post Ranch Inn)
KNOW…that you just may spot former Carmel mayor and actor Clint Eastwood at the Mission Ranch Restaurant, the local landmark that he saved and where he often dines
Search By Keyword
There's no better way to see the real Australia than...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.