Language: Spanish and English
Visa: Visa is not required for U.S. citizens but travelers are required to pay $10 for a tourist card at Managua airport customs, which is valid for 90 days. Visitor’s passports must be valid for six months after the date of exit.
Currency: Cordobas (10 Cordobas=approx. $0.43) but most places will happily take U.S. dollars. Vendors usually can’t break any bills larger than $10, so it’s a good idea to bring lots of singles and $5 bills.
Time zone: GMT-6 (1 hour behind New York/EST)
Health and safety: While no specific vaccines are required to visit Nicaragua, experts recommend travelers ensure their tetanus, diphtheria, polio, hepatitis A, hepatitis B and typhoid shots are up to date and consider taking malaria pills. Visitors should only drink bottled water and avoid uncooked, unpeeled fruits and vegetables.
Search By Keyword
Thailand’s third-largest island (roughly the size of Martha’s Vineyard) has...
By South American standards, Ecuador—which is about the size of...
Imagine a boater’s paradise of small islands with deserted beaches...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.