Destination: The Netherlands: Maastricht
TEFAF (The European Fine Art Fair)
Over 250 leading art and antiques dealers from nearly 20 countries typically present their finest work, which covers about 7,000 years of art history. The fair takes place at the Maastricht Exhibition and Congress Centre (MECC), a nondescript space that is totally transformed by thousands of tulips, carnations and anemones, as well as huge branches of magnolia. The beauty of TEFAF is its refinement, including elegantly decorated rooms or stands (you simply can’t call them “booths”), an illustrated doorstop-size catalog, and an easy-to-negotiate layout divided into nine sections, ranging from Old Master to blue-chip Modern and Contemporary art and design. Close to 170 international experts vet every object on view for quality, authenticity and provenance. It’s like visiting a museum where almost everything is for sale. And unlike at other art fairs, here visitors are a lot more interested in the art than in the art of people watching.
People hardly leave the fair when it’s up; here are the restaurants to know:
- Restaurant La Concorde (Maastricht Exhibition and Congress Centre; 31-43-308-8444) The best bet for elegant dining at the MECC.
- Champagne Bar (Maastricht Exhibition and Congress Centre; No phone) Offering champagne, wine and seafood.
- Brasserie Fifth Avenue (Maastricht Exhibition and Congress Centre; 31-43-308-8444) Ideal for quicker meals.
- Sushi-Fusion Bar (Maastricht Exhibition and Congress Centre; No phone) Located in the Design section along with numerous food courts and cafés.
Search By Keyword
An outrageous shape-shifter, Myanmar is finally emerging from its troubled...
A first-hand account of a philanthropic “reality" trip to Zambia...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.