The only other high-end option in Yangon, besides Governor’s Residence, the historic Strand hotel is located in the downtown area, facing the Yangon river (across a busy thoroughfare). Part of the GHM Hotel Group, which also runs the Nam Hai in Hoi Ahn, the Strand is a fine option if Governor’s Residence is booked, or if you are only in town for one night and want to be based in the downtown Yangon area.
The location lends itself to walking tours of the neighborhood (acclaimed Monsoon restaurant and Loft Gallery are nearby). Rooms are generously sized, with high ceilings, and there’s an intimate spa (but no swimming pool). The Strand’s lobby, which rises into a four-story atrium and conjures scenes from Somerset Maugham’s books, is normally buzzing with activity. Even if you are not staying here, come for a drink at the hotel’s famous Strand Bar and see the impressive art collection at the excellent River Art Gallery.
Search By Keyword
The gateway to southeastern Asia, Singapore has a lot to...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.