One of the loveliest hotels in southeast Asia, this Orient-Express–run property sits tucked away in the city’s embassy district. It’s just a 5-minute drive to downtown Yangon, with such tourist sites as Scott Market, Chinatown and the Indian Quarter, but the beautifully landscaped Governor’s Residence feels miles away.
Guests enter via a covered bridge, that’s surrounded by lotus ponds and gardens, arriving at a Colonial mansion, built in 1920, with a wrap-around porch and airy public spaces. Fans whirr overhead, large red umbrellas dot the landscapes and teak armchairs make inviting spots in which to process the day’s sightseeing. The 49 well-laid-out rooms and suites feature lots of teak, smooth wood floors and large bathrooms with free-form tubs and rain showers. Those on the lower floors can be on the dark side, with heavy wooden shutters (especially those lining the pool), but all the amenities are spot-on and there’s nothing more comforting than returning to these beautifully styled, calm enclaves at the end of a busy day.
Especially compared with hotels in downtown Yangon, Governor’s Residence offers a generous feeling...
Search By Keyword
Eco safari camps, recommended outfitters, plus an amazing house rental...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.