Long treated as southeast Asia’s stepchild—overachieving, handsome and trying too hard—Singapore is often portrayed as a flyover destination. Perhaps this is one of the reasons the impressive Changi Airport is indeed a universe in itself, where weary travelers have access to a butterfly garden, free movie theater and swimming pools. But considering what an extraordinary gateway the city is, with direct flights to most of southeast Asia (including Myanmar and Siem Reap), and the many different experiences it offers, Singapore is perfect for a more extensive layover, both pre- and post-trip.
Here is a taste of the city in three days, whether you’re using the time to get acclimated to the climate and time zone or unwinding after a busy travel schedule.
Checking In: Read about the city’s top hotels.
Start at the Marina Bay Sands, the supersized resort-mall-casino-hotel-restaurant complex that cost $8 billon and opened on Marina Bay in 2010. Its three massive towers are connected on top by a long flat platform, making it look from afar like a Titanic-sized...
Search By Keyword
This island has unspoiled coral reefs and protected lagoons so...
Travelers seek out the privately owned Lanai, nine miles west...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.