Opened in 2009 on Sentosa Island, the stunning Capella is a popular destination for leisure travelers as well as stylish Singaporeans seeking a weekend escape. The property includes some original Colonial buildings from the 1880s, as well as a striking, oval extension designed by Sir Norman Foster. Rooms are spacious, incredibly stylish and feature the latest in hotel room technology (massive flat-screens, iPod docks, touch-screen controls, rain showers etc.). They are also some of the largest hotel rooms in Singapore; even the smallest entry-level ones measure more than 800 square feet. Lower-level ones overlook the beautifully landscaped gardens where peacocks roam freely, while the upper floor rooms have sweeping views of the South China Sea.
The multi-level property spills down a hillside to a small beach (man-made, as is all of Sentosa) and also has three pools where guests can while the afternoon away. According to some sybarites, the large, beautifully designed spa (lots of water elements and a hushed, relaxing vibe) is the best in Singapore. Don’t worry when you arrive at gated Sentosa, about a 15-minute drive from downtown Singapore, which feels distinctly like Disneyland (there’s a massive Universal Studio on the island). As soon as you arrive in the peaceful serenity of the Capella, you will feel miles away from it all. I can’t think of a better place in Singapore to adjust to southeast Asian time and climate or to prepare for the long-haul flight home.
Search By Keyword
An outrageous shape-shifter, Myanmar is finally emerging from its troubled...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.