The vertiginous views off 1 Raffles Place take centerstage at this trio of venues, including a restaurant and sports bar. Habitués head straight to the rooftop lounge-club, which hosts wild, long nights 900 feet above the city. It’s quite a scene.
Locals have a love-hate relationship with this trendy bar/café on Haji Lane, a small street in the Kampong Glam (Arab) neighborhood. Hidden on the second floor of a building that also houses a furniture shop, the small space has the too-cool-for-school vibe of a Williamsburg, Brooklyn speakeasy. Bartenders are called mixologists and they whip up innovative cocktails based on your preferences (there’s no menu). The more specific you are, the happier you will be with the result.
Long Bar/Billiards Room
Even if the sweet, pink Singapore Sling is not your thing, a cocktail in the Raffles’ Long Bar is a must for first-time visitors to Singapore (tip: the passion fruit version is not quite as sweet). The bar, with its Colonial aesthetic (including palm-leaf ceiling fans), is the only place in all of Singapore where you will find trash on the ground: each table has deep bowls of peanuts, and guests are encouraged to throw the shells on the floor. The lounge on the second floor hosts live music every night. Another old-world spot at the Raffles is the cool Billiards Bar, which has two turn-of-the-century pool tables and serves stiff cocktails.
Search By Keyword
Intimate, hip beach hotels line the shore of this former...
Berlin is one of Europe's most fascinating, stimulating and underrated...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.