For a hipper, younger and more unique setting, head to Haji Lane, a narrow street in the Kampong Glam (Arab) neighborhood, which holds cute independent fashion and accessories boutique (think of it as a small version of New York’s Nolita). Don’t miss the boho-chic wares of Pluck (#31-33), the hip furniture at A Thousand Tales (#55) and the eco-friendly fashion of Zhai (#82). For an incredible assortment of essential and perfumed oils, as well as pretty soaps and lotions, walk to Arab Street and visit Sifr Aromatics (#42). Break for a coffee or cocktail at Bar Stories.
Singapore is mall culture at its most outrageous. The Ion Orchard Mall, for example, has a eight floors, 400 stores, perfumed air and one of the most acclaimed restaurants in town (Salt & Grill).
And for one-stop shopping that is high-end but more special and edited than the supermalls, go to the Raffles Aracade, There are dozens of shops and restaurants on two levels of the historic property. Among the best are Lotus Arts de Vivre (a Thai family-run jewelry company with gorgeous evening bags, jewelry and objects); Bin House (an Indonesian fashion house); Laichan for stylish traditional Asian clothing à la Shanghai Tang Front Row, a sleek modern fashion emporium. Raffles, which is one of the most storied grand hotels in Asia, has a signature boutique with memorabilia and interesting local finds that is worth browsing as well.
Search By Keyword
The 25,000-acre beachside fiefdom could only be created by a...
Change comes slowly to this small Bahamian island, and that’s...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.