Destination: Chile: Easter Island
SEE ALSO: Explora Rapa Nui
Hangaroa Eco Village & Spa
Another high-end option on Easter Island, Hangaroa Eco Village is best for those visitors who like their freedom and easy access to town. Currently going through a “soft opening,” the hotel is working out its kinks and is slated for official opening in August, 2012.
Design touches are chic, including Argentine-imported furniture, free-standing Cyprus tree trunks, driftwood paneling and deep free-standing black ceramic bathtubs. 75 large guest rooms, including 8 suites have views of the sea and town and all have private porches. The architecture of the main buildings as well as the guest rooms is modeled after the ancient structures of the island. The grass roofs and dark stone facades are designed to blend in with the landscape.
Two aims of the hotel are giving back to the community and maintaining an ecologically-sustainable property. The spa and excursions are sub-contracted out to local companies and many areas of the hotel were built to act as meeting spaces for the community. Hangaroa proudly has instituted water filtration systems, recycling programs and serve organic and locally-produced food. The best items on the menu of the two restaurants are the simplest, featuring local seafood (tuna and lobster) and produce (pineapple and sweet potato).
Enclosed within a volcanic rock wall, the spa mimics the protected gardens ancient Rapanui built to shelter vegetables from wind. The interior resembles a Japanese rock garden, with sand-covered ground disturbed by the occasional scattered volcanic rock and wooden walkways connecting six rooms with plunge pools, outdoor showers, a sauna and adjacent individual hot tubs. In addition to massage, a lymphatic treatment is offered, the ideal way to adjust after long travels.
Search By Keyword
Sophisticated living combined with a refreshingly laid-back California attitude in...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.