Destination: Austria: Salzburg
One of the city’s most fabled properties, the Sacher is the sister hotel of the venerable hotel in Vienna, and it was built in 1866, the same year Salzburg joined the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Set on the riverbank, overlooking the Baroque Old Town and the Fortress Hohensalzburg, the hotel has an enviable location. Interiors are grand but updated. Hotelier Elisabeth Gürtler is famously hands-on and the staff is extremely professional but warm. For an upscale traveler, this is the number one address and the hotel is usually completely booked during the summer festival. Cozy Zirbelzimmer is renowned for classical Austrian cuisine.
For travelers who prefer to be based in the scenic Alpine countryside, this chateau seems to have sprung out of a fairytale. It sits right on the shores of one of Austria’s largest lakes. Even if you don’t stay here, you should make the forty-minute drive out for lunch or dinner; Fuschl’s restaurant is one of the area’s best.
Search By Keyword
Eco safari camps, recommended outfitters, plus an amazing house rental...
To quote the renowned historian Alan Morehead, "Anyone who can...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.