Just Back from…Nevis
Call me slow, but it took me a few days to really “get” Nevis. Yes, the island is Caribbean-style beautiful with its lazy golden beaches and jaw-dropping Nevis Peak, all 3,200 feet of it plopped smack in the middle, but where was the jetset crowd? My problem was that I was biased: I’ve been going to St. Barth’s for years, so subconsciously I found myself comparing the two islands which couldn’t be more different. The St.-Tropez of the Antilles, St. Barth’s is more European than Caribbean, while Nevis is about as authentically Caribbean as you can get.
Nevis is packed with history dating back 2,000 years when Central American Indians inhabited the island. Fast forward to 1493 when sailor Christopher Columbus eyed the signature cloud-covered mountain and thought it resembled “Nuestra Senora de las Nieves” (Our Lady of the Snows) and thus, Nevis was born. The British settled on Nevis in 1628 and by 1660, the fertile island was the most profitable colony per capita thanks to its sugar cane production. Besides the island’s natural, lush dramatic...
Search By Keyword
A memorable sidestep to lesser-known cities: Gwailor and Orchha (near...
Few places on earth are as dramatic in appearance as...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.