As someone who spent formative years in Europe, and was raised by a Southern belle mother, I fancy myself as a girl who appreciates charm. But it wasn’t until recently that I discovered a place that encompasses the best of two disparate but equally engaging cultures: the aged hush of cobblestoned European hamlets, and the welcoming hospitality of the American south. The destination is Charleston, South Carolina, one of the United States’ first cities, which exists today as a living museum of early American urban planning, architecture and furniture, as well as social customs and impeccable manners.
A recent weekend visit proved two things: Spring in the South, when azaleas are in bloom and days are long but not yet hot, is a glorious occasion. And Charleston makes for an ideal quick break from the northeast due to its easy access. (It could easily captivate visitors for a full week, or at least multiple returns.) The town makes for an ideal romantic getaway, offering charming walks amidst historic houses on cobblestoned paths; incredible meals; visits to gorgeous beaches and plantations;...
Search By Keyword
The country's most stunning landscapes and exhilarating outdoor activities center...
Beautiful and not overrun with tourists, this island off the...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.