Charleston is a destination for twelve months of the year. Northerners love to visit in Fall, when many weekends are occasion for oyster roasts, and a continuation of summer’s weather proves a nice break when temperatures in the North start to drop. Charleston winters are cozy affairs, especially for guests at Wentworth Mansion or Planter’s Inn who have fireplaces in their bedrooms. Christmas decorations are beautiful, and the city is lit in its original fashion—by candlelight. Spring brings flower blossoms, filling the streets with intoxicating scents from jasmine bushes, and azaleas in such saturated colors they seem almost neon. This atmosphere is ideal for the Historic Homes tours, an annual event.
Summer months are lazily spent at the area’s beaches, and the season kicks off with the famed Spoleto Festival, founded in 1977 by Gian Carlo Menotti as an offshoot of the Italian arts celebration of the same name. The arts festival is held every summer, from the end of May through mid-June. The goal is to introduce young artists to more established performers, giving them a chance to work together. It plays host to over 100 concerts, operas, theatrical performances, dance recitals and art exhibitions. Piccolo Spoletto is the kid-friendly series, which runs concurrently.
Search By Keyword
St Moritz has come roaring back. For an update on...
Like the French Riviera, Turkey’s southwester coast was “discovered” by...
Sophisticated living combined with a refreshingly laid-back California attitude in...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.