Short for “Food Is Good,” this buzzing restaurant is a favorite among locals, and for good reason. The pioneering restaurant features ingredients from the greater Charleston area, served in exciting and thoughtful ways.
Meals at FIG undoubtedly begin for most with a cocktail from the inventive bar. The make-your-own Manhattans, where guests can chose their bourbon, bitters and vermouth from an extensive menu, are particularly fun.
Culinary specialties include the soft-shell crab and an extraordinary coddled egg dish, which includes English peas, blue lump crab, chives and scallions and uses the egg whites to make a rich soup, all the while keeping the yolk intact. Other options include smoked salmon tartar with fried quail egg, homemade potato chips and watercress. A recent visit delivered a melt-in-your-mouth appetizer of lemony leeks with mustard vinaigrette. It comes as no surprise that chef Mike Lata won a James Beard award.
The wait staff is cool and passionate about the menu, adding to the dining room’s exciting vibe.
This new farm-to-table restaurant, run by chef Kevin Johnson, features oysters, small bites and family-style dishes such as cassoulet and bouillabaisse.
Situated in a 19th-century home, this elegant yet rustic restaurant serves exceptional high-end Southern cuisine. All ingredients must come from the South in order to earn placement on the menu, resulting in the chefs creating new takes on tried-and-true recipes. Specialties include the fried catfish B.L.T. and bacon cornbread. Be sure to check out the porch’s joggling board: a seesaw meets rocking chair meets bench, this piece of outdoor furniture is a Charleston novelty. The next-door Husk Bar, which serves artisanal and old-school cocktails.
Search By Keyword
Travelers seek out the privately owned Lanai, nine miles west...
Like the French Riviera, Turkey’s southwester coast was “discovered” by...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.