Destination: Italy: Florence
Osteria Antica Mescita
Located on the “other” side of the river in the San Miniato al Monte neighborhood, this small hole-in-the-wall is worth the ten-minute walk south from the Ponte Vecchio. Call and make a reservation for a table in the front of the main room. Expect rough wooden tables and a bar in the back that reminds you that this used to be a place where workers came to buy cheap wine. It may not look like much, but this is the perfect place to try typical Florentine dishes such as tripe, ribollita (Tuscan bean soup) and pappa al pomodoro (a hearty bread stew). If you can’t decide what to order, try their mixed plates of pasta or tripe, and don’t miss the crostini. There’s a wonderful buffet at lunchtime. If you are with a group, the back room has big tables, which are not easy to find in Florence.
Search By Keyword
Marrakech has it all: history, romance, atmosphere. It exudes a...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.