Destination: Italy: Florence
A note about Florence’s addresses: since Italy’s unification, in the mid-19th-century, the city has had two numbering systems: because of a surge in businesses, it came up with a way to distinguish between commercial and residential addresses by adding a red letter (R for rosso) to the former and a black letter (N for nero) to the latter. This means that a street number doesn’t immediately indicate how far apart places are. To add to the confusion, some businesses that have moved into formerly residential spaces don’t have the expected R. Luckily, many of Florence’s streets are relatively short, especially those with the shops, so if you miss your goal, just backtrack, and if all else fails, duck into a caffè, have a machiatto, and ask a local for assistance.
Florence’s small size—about forty square miles—is both a blessing and a curse. It’s easy to run into tour-group gridlock in the centro storico (the historic center, a World Heritage Site), but at the same time, you can get almost everywhere on foot. The center is mostly pedestrian, so don’t bother with a taxi: Florence is all about walking.
Search By Keyword
Discover the best beach hideaways in the area that Brazilians...
This island has unspoiled coral reefs and protected lagoons so...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.