Destination: Italy: Florence
See also Four Seasons Hotel Florence
Vibe: Family-friendly, centrally located, contemporary elegance
At a Glance: Hotel Savoy sits right off the Piazza Repubblica steps away from the Uffizi Gallery and Duomo. Guests emerge from the comfort of their rooms right into the middle of the city.
Review: Rocco Forte’s Hotel Savoy sits in Florence’s most central location. The historic Piazza della Repubblica was actually the planned center point of the original Florentine city built by the Romans. The 107 rooms and suites have high ceilings, luxurious linens, crisp, minimalist décor and mosaic-inlaid bathrooms. Guests are literally steps away from Florence’s main historic sights, including the Duomo and Uffizi.
Known for efficient and attentive service, the Hotel Savoy offers a special welcome to children with child-size slippers, bathrobes and teddy bear turn-down service. The suites Signori and Brunelleschi have private steam rooms, and the fully equipped gym boasts views of the city center. The location is essential for some visitors, however the property may feel claustrophobic to others who’d like to avoid being right in the middle of the tourist crush. These visitors can still may prefer to be nearby on the water at the Lungarno properties, at the slightly removed Four Seasons Florence with its extensive gardens and pool or the Villa San Michele, an easy 10minute drive up into the hills of Fiesole.INDAGARE LOVES:
- The teddy bear turn-down service for kids with a child-sized bathrobe and slippers
- The city buzz directly outside the hotel doors
- Private steam rooms in two of the specialty suites
Vibe: Family-friendly, centrally located, good value
At a Glance: Perfect for families or long stays, the Lungarno Suites offers the convenience of a central location and a kitchenette in every suite.
Review: The forty rooms and suites of the Lungarno Suites are larger than those in any of the other Lungarno properties with views of the Arno or neighborhood. The rooms are decorated in two color schemes (red for street views and blue for river views) with sumptuous velvets and linens, and handcrafted leather furnishings.
While there is no restaurant on the premises, guests can taken advantage of the restaurants at Gallery Hotel Arts and Hotel Lungarno – both a stone’s throw away – or enjoy breakfast in the privacy of their own room. The family suites offer the independence and comfort of more space and two separate bathrooms, while the river view suites each have an expansive view of the Arno. Ideally situated at the Ponte Vecchio, guests can step out into the center of the city in the morning and have a comfortable refuge waiting for them at the end of the day. The location cannot be beat and the suites offer a good value option for independent families, however visitors who require a restaurant, a lobby scene and 24-hour service may be better suited at the Four Seasons Florence or Hotel Savoy.
- The rooftop terrace with panoramic city and river views
- The large family suites with two separate bathrooms
Search By Keyword
This island has unspoiled coral reefs and protected lagoons so...
London is nudging past New York as the world’s financial...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.