Destination: Italy: Florence
In Florence, it’s difficult to narrow down the immense number of cultural offerings into a concise to-do list. As most of the main sights are concentrated in the center, you’re likely to pass monuments such as the Duomo and Ponte Vecchio every time you leave your hotel. For a fresh look at the more overwhelming art troves like the Uffizi Gallery, Palazzo Strozzi, Galleria dell’Accademia and Pitti Palace, it’s worth hiring a specialized guide to take you around or to focus your tour on just one aspect of the museums.
Considering that, in 2006, 1.5 million people visited the Uffizi, it pays to join Friends of Florence, a nonprofit organization that can get you into many of Florence’s major sights, including the Uffizi and Galleria dell’Accademia, when they are closed for a private visit.
Search By Keyword
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.