Destination: Brazil: Florianopolis
Ponta Dos Ganchos
Vibe: Exclusive, romantic, retreat
At a glance: Commonly known as Brazil’s most luxurious resort, the Relais & Chateaux Ponta dos Ganchos is a romantic hideaway set in a quiet fishing village just outside of Florianopolis.
Review: When Ponta dos Ganchos opened in 2002, Brazilian couples flocked from Sao Paulo and Rio in search of the ultimate romantic escape. Located twenty miles north of the surf capital of Florianopolis, the resort has been the essence of relaxed elegance from the start.
All this has been achieved by the visionary brother-and-sister hoteliers Nicolas and Virginia Peluffo. The siblings collaborated with their father to orchestrate the construction of the original fifteen Superior and Deluxe bangalos overlooking the ocean, spread across a spectacular peninsula with a small private beach. Since then, they have added a total of ten uberluxe Villas and Emerald Villas in 2004 and 2008 respectively. Villas and Emerald Villas (the rooms to get) are decadent open-plan suites, equipped with fireplaces, indoor Jacuzzis, wood-paneled saunas and outdoor plunge pools with stunning vistas of the surrounding green and turquoise water.
The pace of the resort is very slow and beguiling, which draws a lot of couples and honeymooners. Hike to the nearby fishing village, boat out to get fresh oysters and mussels, relax on the beach or have an open-air massage in one of three water-side treatment rooms. In fact, many guests never leave the sanctity of their bungalows, except to enjoy a world-class meal by the property’s star chef Luis Salvajoli. Ponta dos Ganchos deserves its position high on the lists of those seeking a relaxing retreat for two.
Who It’s Right For: Couples headed to Brazil and looking for a place to hide out and indulge.
- Panoramic views of the surrounding landscape from Villas #20 and #25
- The location, tucked away amongst vibrant fishing communities
- The resort’s food and wine focus and creative take on international cuisine
Search By Keyword
Beautiful and not overrun with tourists, this island off the...
Sophisticated living combined with a refreshingly laid-back California attitude in...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.