Destination: Spain: Barcelona
Vibe: boutique, live like a local, value
At a Glance: Unless you’re looking for the Murmuri, you probably won’t notice this discreet boutique hotel located a block off the busy Passeig de Gracia.
Review: But travelers who need a central location on a limited budget should put the Murmuri on their map. The hotel has only fifty-three rooms and suites and was designed by Kelly Hoppen, the British decorator known for her modern interiors and her work on British Airway’s First Class cabins. Although the hotel lacks the amenities offered at some of the area’s more glamorous properties, guests have access to the pool and gym at the nearby Majestic Hotel.
But the real find is the Murmuri’s residences. The small but well-designed apartments have a private entrance just around the corner from the Murmuri and are perfect for families. Book one of the two-bedroom apartments, which feature a kitchen, living and dining area and a terrace that’s ideal for enjoying an evening glass of cava after putting the kids to bed. Like the rooms, the apartments are reasonably priced and offer travelers the space of an expensive suite at a neighboring hotel for about half the euros. The tiny lane where guests enter the apartments is lined with fun restaurants and cute shops. If I were to move to Barcelona, I can’t imagine a more ideal location. A note: I worried that the street noise from the restaurants would be a problem – it wasn’t.
Who Should Stay: Families or couples looking for a value option in a prime location.
Search By Keyword
Insider picks from Athens and the best island, including Mykonos,...
The city is teeming with refreshing new energy, and is...
The Dutch capital is the kind of city where you'll...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.