Vibe: Classic, Western, Masculine
At a Glance: The Old West makes a stylish comeback at Aspen’s Hotel Jerome.
Review: Aspen’s most talked about new hotel is actually quite old – 125 years, to be exact. Built during the city’s silver boom, the Jerome remained open from boom to bust, playing host to European aristocracy, Hollywood celebrities and East Coast socialites over the years. Recently, however, the Victorian-style décor lost its allure, and Aspen’s well-heeled travelers flocked to newer properties over of the Jerome.
That changed when Auberge Resorts took over management of the hotel, and a top-to-bottom, multi-million-dollar renovation ensued. The hotel reopened during Christmas 2012, featuring stylish new rooms and restaurants that invoke the property’s Old West roots but please a New West traveler. Accommodations feature traditional crown moldings, masculine burnished-leather bedframes and archival prints from the Aspen Historical Society. Large marble bathrooms include double vanities as well as separate soaking tubs, ideal for sore après-ski legs. While modern technology is present– plasma tvs, iPod docks and complimentary iPads in every room – the overall vibe is decidedly Old World, without sacrificing a bit of modern comfort. What didn’t change was the size of the accommodations, the smallest of which averages over 500 square feet.
Also new are Prospect and the Living Room, the Jerome’s two restaurants. Prospect offers a more sophisticated menu, while the Living Room serves gourmet bar snacks as well as more substantial entrees as diners relax into cozy leather couches. An après scene kicks into effect around 5 pm with cocktails in the Living Room or in the historic J Bar. For families more interested in playing than cocktailing, the Jerome also now features a kids’ playroom equipped with video games, movies and toys to keep tots entertained.
The Jerome has a small spa offering a full menu of services, as well as a compact fitness center. For guests who would like a larger gym, transfers are provided to the 77,000-square-foot Aspen Club & Spa. The outdoor pool and hot tub are sufficiently heated for even a February swim. But most guests get their exercise the old fashioned way – on the mountain. While the Jerome may be one of the furthest properties from the Aspen base, it’s only a few blocks away and a fleet of SUVs chauffeured by charming cowboy-hatted bellboys whisk guests there and back on demand. Old West allure blends with modern-day luxury – what a treat.
- Spacious rooms with Old West flair
- A buzzy après scene in the Living Room
- In-house Gorsuch for easy ski and snowboard rentals
Search By Keyword
Few places on earth are as dramatic in appearance as...
Imagine a boater’s paradise of small islands with deserted beaches...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.