Vibe: Family-friendly, modern.
At a Glance: A full-service resort for families.
Review: Downtown Aspen sits an easy twenty-minute drive from Snowmass. But most of the families who check into this hotel rarely find a reason to leave. Adults have ski-in/ski-out access to the largest of the Four Mountains (also the best for snowboarders, FYI), while kids can easily hop next door to Aspen’s highly praised Treehouse Kids program and ski school. Sure, some families check into the hotels in town and shuttle their kids here every morning. But parents who want convenience– not to mention the peace-of-mind of skiing the same mountain as their ski-school kids – wouldn’t dream of staying elsewhere.
The resort understands its popularity with families and offers accommodations that work well for groups. Spacious one-, two- and three-bedroom residences offer full kitchens, living and dining areas, washer/dryers and cozy fireplaces. While the décor has the expected Viceroy styling – sleek and modern – it is less trendy than other properties I’ve seen within the brand and feels more appropriate for shacking up with the kids. Bathrooms are large, with rainhead showers and soaking tubs, Wifi is free and housekeeping even sets up humidifiers in each room at turndown to help combat dry mountain air.
Another perk to the resort is its 7,000-square-foot spa, a place that almost outweighs the appeal of the slopes. From the candlelit relaxation room to the hydrotherapy tubs and the excellent masseuses, the spa truly feels like a sanctuary. While the staff is happy to provide a fully holistic experience, they also offer champagne upon arrival, a festive alternative to traditional herbal teas and a signal that guests are here to enjoy themselves.
After the lifts close, the scene moves to the pool and the lobby bar. Kids splash around while groups of adults sip cocktails in the hot tubs. At night, the Viceroy can arrange private chefs to cook for family’s in the suites’ designer kitchens, but more fun is to hire a babysitter and sneak downstairs to for a romantic meal at 8 K. While plenty of options exist a taxi ride away, it’s easy to stay here – great food, a nice crowd and an elevator ride away from a comfortable sleep before doing it again tomorrow.
- Ski-in/ski-out setting on the largest of Aspen’s mountains
- Spacious suites for families
- Fantastic spa for soothing tired muscles
Search By Keyword
Long a bastion of understated cool, the Danish capital is...
With miles of biking, walking and riding trails, scores of...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.