Destination: France: Paris
The location of the Shangri-La, opened in December 2010, is the hotel’s biggest pro and con at the same time. The property sits on the Right Bank in the 16th arrondissement near touristy Trocadéro, a taxi ride removed from the haute shopping of Rue St. Honoré or centrally located museums like the Louvre and Musée d’Orsay. That said, the Shangri-La also has the best views of the Eiffel Tower of any hotel in the city. During my visit, I was wowed by the proximity to the famous monument, which, especially at night, appeared close enough to touch from my room.
The Shangri-La Paris marks the Hong Kong–based hotel group’s debut in Europe, and the building that the property occupies is appropriately grand and historic. The beautifully restored, 19th-century palace was originally built by a descendent of Napoléon Bonaparte in 1896, and a series of stunning Belle Époque salons have been painstakingly restored on the ground floor. (Post four-year renovation, the building was registered as one of France’s historic monuments.) The lobby showcases five different kinds of marble, a...
Search By Keyword
This island nation makes a perfect, beachy conclusion to a...
The Dutch capital is the kind of city where you'll...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.