Destination: France: Paris
EDITOR’S UPDATE 2012:
Lovers of Paris and of photography should not miss the retrospective of photographer Eugène Atget at the Musée Carnavalet. His early 20th-century portraits of the city and its inhabitants remain iconic images depicting the city of romance. Among the featured works are almost fifty prints that were assembled by the American artist Man Ray during the 1920s. Through July 29. Open Tuesday-Sunday 10am-6pm. (Advance tickets may be purchased online at carnavalet.paris.fr)
The fascinating 140-room museum, located in a 16th-century mansion, shouldn’t be missed. Converted to a museum in 1866 by Baron Haussmann, the man responsible for rebuilding much of central Paris in the 19th century, the museum is focused on the history of Paris in the broadest sense—its collections include everything from wooden punts used by the Parisii, the tribe that inhabited the islands in the Seine before the Romans arrived, to a re-creation of Marcel Proust’s decidedly odd cork-lined bedroom (he insisted on silence when he worked). Closed Monday. Métro: St.-Paul.
Search By Keyword
Change comes slowly to this small Bahamian island, and that’s...
The French islands of Porquerolles and Port-Cros offer breathtaking cliffs,...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.