Destination: France: Paris
For star chef Jean-François Piège, formerly of Les Ambassadeurs at the Crillon, Thoumieux is a dream come true. Teaming up with Thierry Costes, he has taken over a venerable brasserie in the central 7th arrondissement, added a fine-dining restaurant on the first floor (Restaurant Jean-François Piège) and now opened 15 small rooms, creating the kind of gastro-hotel more readily found in the countryside of France.
Intimate and colorful, the guest rooms were designed by India Mahdavi, whose put her innovative touch on such projects as the restaurants of London’s Connaught and the Hotel on Rivington in New York. Her style is not for minimalists: the wallpapers are bright with loud patterns; some of the furniture is vintage and beds are covered with a playful leopard-print throw. Despite the contemporary design, there’s something beautifully Parisian and romantic about the small chambres, a feeling that continues when you join the bustle of Rue Sainte Dominque. All rooms come with a mini-bar, flat-screen television and WiFi, but there’s no room service or white-glove pampering. Of course, Piège’s fine dining restaurant is just downstairs. Rooms from €150 (about $200).
Search By Keyword
Writer D. H. Lawrence once described Sardinia as “lost between...
Known as the Blue City for its cobalt-painted facades, Jodhpur...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.