Destination: South Africa: Cape Town
Cape Town is in the midst of the most rapid expansion in South Africa’s history. Construction is everywhere as the city gears up for the Football World Cup in 2010 by building hotels, a stadium and housing, and while it’s still a relatively laid-back, friendly place, tourism and its attendant ills (crowds, traffic and higher prices) seem to be increasing by the month. Yet now is an exciting time to visit Cape Town. Like a gawky adolescent who has suddenly discovered that she is beautiful, the city is practically preening as it shows off spectacular new restaurants and hotels. For the visitor, there are also lovely spas and excursions to the winelands and beyond, often with an African theme that will remind you that you are indeed far from the Northern Hemisphere. It’s a reminder you’ll also have when you arrive at Cape Town airport, surrounded as it is by shacks, which hundreds of thousands of Capetonians—as well as migrants from rural areas and other countries in Africa—call home. The townships are both daunting and impressive. “You mean everyone is...
Search By Keyword
To quote the renowned historian Alan Morehead, "Anyone who can...
Now that many of its beloved museums and monuments have...
While it may lack some of the charm of jetset...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.