Destination: South Africa: Cape Town
I didn’t eat at La Colombe on my most recent trip to Cape Town, but this has been the city’s finest French restaurant for a long time. Its chef, the marvelously named Franck Dangereux, recently left to open his own business in out-of-the-way Noordhoek, so it remains to be seen if his successor can keep up the pristine freshness and delicacy of the food, with its Provençal accents. The wine-estate setting is beautiful, and the tables overlook a swimming pool; go there for a special lunch.
EDITOR’S NOTE: On my recent trip to Cape Town, in April 2009, I had an incredible lunch at La Colombe, a special place for a meal on one of the area’s oldest wine estates, Constantia Uitsig. There are three restaurants on the estate, as well as a working farm, a hotel and a spa, but the one to book is La Colombe.
Chef Dale Roberts, who took over from Franck Dangereux in 2006, has established himself as one of the region’s finest culinary craftsmen. Menus change often and are written on a...
Search By Keyword
A fascinating mix of tradition and contemporary life, 1,200-year-old Kyoto...
Family vacation can be equal parts learning and leisure when...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.