Destination: South Africa: Cape Town
Every South African schoolchild learns that the foundations of modern Cape Town were laid when the Dutch East India Company established a way station at the tip of the African continent—a place for their ships to stop on the profitable trade route to India discovered by the Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama. But archaeological evidence shows that the local tribes were there for a long time before the Dutch set foot on the verdant soil that the English explorer Sir Francis Drake, in 1577, called “the fairest cape we saw in the circumference of the earth.” An ancient footprint, now in the South African Museum in Cape Town, is the world’s oldest trace of Homo sapiens, dating from some 117,000 years ago. The conflict between those tribes and the colonizers—first the Dutch, then the English—was to shape the history of modern South Africa, with the improbable happy ending that the world saw in 1994 with the election of Nelson Mandela and the African National Congress.
More than a decade later, Cape Town still straddles Europe and Africa. Dominated by the 3,563-foot Table Mountain and bounded by two oceans, the city is possessed of heart-stopping, rugged beauty. But for the daily reminders, as clouds pour the famous “tablecloth” over the mountain or the vast empty beaches of Noordhoek exert their pull, many of its glamorous restaurants, outdoor cafés and markets would be at home in London or St.-Tropez.
Search By Keyword
The French islands of Porquerolles and Port-Cros offer breathtaking cliffs,...
This island offers gorgeous beaches and wonderful five-star properties, many...
Sophisticated living combined with a refreshingly laid-back California attitude in...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.