Destination: South Africa: Cape Town
From Deborah Calmeyer, co-founder of Roar Africa
“You have probably heard of the terrible attacks against refugees and immigrants from other African nations residing in South Africa. The most recent attacks started in the Johannesburg township of Alexandra and spread to other low-income neighborhoods and informal settlements. They have caused a number of deaths and the displacement of thousands of people.
The actions have been condemned locally and abroad. Although the government was criticized for acting slowly initially, there has been significant progress. On May 21st, President Thabo Mbeki authorized the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) to provide the South African Police Service (SAPS) with the logistical support it needs to stabilize the situation. The situation is being brought under control and 400 arrests have been made.
If you are considering a visit to South Africa, be aware that the problems were localized. You will not be in any of these areas on a Roar Africa trip. The South African Tourism Board is re-assuring all potential foreign visitors that it is safe to visit South Africa and that the incidents of attacks are contained in very small areas of our beautiful country.
The US Embassy issued a travel alert for South Africa on May 21st. It is a fair account of the situation. It does not advise against traveling to South Africa, but warns American citizens to be aware of the possible dangers which are confined to isolated locations and informal settlements. There have been no further reports of any violence at this point.
Our thoughts are with all those affected.”
Search By Keyword
Imagine a boater’s paradise of small islands with deserted beaches...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.