Destination: South Africa: Cape Town
Planet Champagne Bar
The refurbished bar in the venerable Mount Nelson Hotel (known locally as the “Nellie”) is quite glamorous and draws a sophisticated crowd. It’s a good spot for a quiet rendezvous or a prelude to a romantic evening out.
A decent but not first-tier hotel between Mouille Point and the Waterfront, the Radisson Hotel does have a wonderful terrace with uninterrupted views over the sea to the shadowy mountain ranges on the horizon. It’s a great place for drinks at sunset, and pleasant for a mid-morning coffee and a toasted sandwich. (South Africans like toasted, or grilled, sandwiches, and they come in many varieties. Toasted cheese and tomato is popular, as is a toasted steak sandwich. Another local specialty of a minor sort is anchovy toast—buttered toast covered with a fish paste that may or may not have anchovies in it. It’s an acquired taste, but I urge you to try it.)
Search By Keyword
A French island with Italian flair, Corsica beguiles with dazzling...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.