Destination: South Africa: Cape Town
If you only have time for one shopping excursion, make it the new Neighbourgoods Market at the Old Biscuit Mill (9:00 am -2:30 pm; 373-75 Albert Road; 021-448-1438; www.neighbourgoodsmarket.co.za) in Woodstock near the Salt River Circle on a Saturday morning. The market, on a rather unsalubrious stretch of industrial properties, opened just nine months ago, and in that time it’s become a weekly ritual for many Capetonians. Go early and eat breakfast at a communal table in the small and charming organic food market, which sells fruit and vegetables, artisanal vinegars and honey, pancakes and coffee, nuts, seeds and pestos. Try to resist loading yourself down with goods (or not; I managed to bring a bottle of fynbos vinegar and a jar of ginger honey back in my suitcase—both supremely impractical), then head to the shops in the refurbished Old Biscuit Mill complex. Stop first at Heartworks; it has an irresistible collection of local ceramics and crafts.
Search By Keyword
Beautiful and not overrun with tourists, this island off the...
The private island off Antigua makes a wonderful getaway for...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.