Destination: South Africa: Cape Town
Chapman’s Peak Drive
This five-and-a-half-mile toll road (about $3.50) carved into cliffs 1,900 feet above the sea runs between Hout Bay and Noordhoek and has unparalleled sweeping views of the coast and the ocean. Go just before sunset, and stop at one of the lookout points. Even better, get a Capetonian friend (or a driver) to take you, and open a bottle of wine as you survey the endless sea and sky.
Leaving from the Waterfront shopping center from the Nelson Mandela Gateway, a ferry transports you to the small island where Nelson Mandela and many other prominent African National Congress members were incarcerated for decades. Conducted by former inmates, the two-and-a-half-hour tour gives an absorbing view of the not-very-distant past. Book a day ahead, as tickets often sell out.
The ideal start to a Cape Town visit is a cable car trip up Table Mountain. As you ascend and at the top, take in the spectacular views of the entire city and beyond; there’s also a range of paths at the top leading to different lookouts over the peninsula. Bring a warm jersey, no matter how hot it is down below; the mist can roll in with surprising speed on the mountain, and it can get quite chilly.
Search By Keyword
Few places on earth are as dramatic in appearance as...
Imagine a boater’s paradise of small islands with deserted beaches...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.