On his first visit to the Siwa oasis in 1996, Egypt’s pioneering environmentalist Dr. Mounir Neamattala decided to create a model of sustainable development that would preserve the unique landscape and traditions of the oasis that has been inhabited since 10,000 BC. The project now encompasses the ecolodge Adrère Amellal as well as a simpler hotel in Siwa village, an organic-agriculture initiative and a women’s artisanship project.
Adrère Amellal sits at the edge of the Great Sand Sea. Its seventeen rooms and ten suites are a combination of restored and newly built kershef (a mixture of mud and rock salt) houses, crafted by local people in the indigineous style. There’s no electricity or phones. Oil lamps, candles and strategically placed fireplaces provide light and heat. Guests can swim in a spring-fed pool nestled in the palm and olive groves. All rooms are simply furnished with locally made kilims and olive wood and palm beds. Rooms from $448 a night, including meals.
Getting There: You must either drive from Cairo, which can take as long as eight to ten hours on a combination of paved and unpaved roads, or charter a plane, which costs about $50,000 for up to eight people.
What to Do: Activities include dune surfing, horseback riding, jeep treks to distant wadis, the White Desert and the Great Sand Sea, and exploring the houses 13th-century houses in the nearby village of Siwa.
How to Book: Contact the lodge directly or call us at 212-988-2611 and we can arrange your booking.
Read a postcard by jewelry designer Francesca Visconti about her experience at Siwa.
Search By Keyword
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.