A magical tropical water world to satisfy the fantasies of surfers, scuba divers, beach lovers and honeymooners lies a few hundred miles south of the tip of India —the nation of more than a thousand tiny islands known as the Maldives.
INDAGARE TOP TEN
SLEEP… in an overwater bungalow or a beachfront villa or divide your time between the two
SPLURGE…on a seaplane ride to view the islands from the air
EAT…some of the region’s locally grown exotic fruits such as lychee, rambutan, mangosteen, sapodilla, longan and passion fruit
DRINK…chilled coconut milk right out of the golden coconuts that grow all year
SAVOR…the sunsets from a catamaran or a dhoni
VISIT…the surf breaks like Pasta Point and Chickens in the North Malé atoll, which draw championship surfers in the summer months
SEE…a local island village, which too many visitors never visit, but gives insight into the native culture
SHOP…for intricate wood-carvings in the little shops in Malé
KNOW…how vulnerable this paradise is because of climate change and rent the documentary The Island President to learn moreLittle known facts:
- The Maldives is the smallest country in Asia in terms of population and land area.
- Full moon parties are a local ritual.
- By law only Maldivians are allowed to drive boats after dark.
- In addition to overwater bungalows, restaurants and spas, the Maldives is now home to underwater bars and spas and soon underwater suites will be available at the Water Discus hotel.
Search By Keyword
Star couturiers and luxury boutiques have transformed Milan into Italy’s...
Cacophonous and colorful, Delhi is rich with tradition and culture.
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.