Though very skinny, Chile is as long as the U.S. is wide, representing every topography on earth (except tropical, but Easter Island gets pretty close to a tropical climate). As a result, the country boasts desert and mountains, beaches and cities, allowing visitors to see a desert and ski down a mountain in one trip. Chile’s wealth has long been established, with thousands of miles of ocean access, the world’s largest copper surplus and fertile land ideal for producing flora and nurturing fauna. Throughout centuries, Chile has been home to a melting pot of cultures, and today benefits from this conglomeration of people and their traditions. Architecture is a hodge-podge of designs, ranging from Swiss and German to the ranch styles of the American West. Santiago is a cosmopolitan mecca and the Chilean countryside boasts idyllic surroundings and dramatic sceneries, so it is possible to combine two or more locals in a single trip.
With something for everyone, Chile has multiple must-see destinations, each with their own personality.
Destination Reports & Reviews
- Read the Destination Report on the cosmopolitan melting-pot capital of Santiago and exciting day trips
Interviews and Postcards
- Read a Q&A with Pedro Ibanez, the founder of Explora.
- Read a member postcard on a trip to Tierra Atacama and about the Explora Atacama... and another Indagare member’s impressions on Explora lodges in Atacama and also Patagonia.
- Read about Chile with kids in the Community boards
- Read a review of the Explora lodge on Easter Island
- Read a member postcard about a family trip to Easter Island
Search By Keyword
Encompassing the Adriatic and Ionian coasts, in the heel of...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.