Destination: Italy: Rome
La Posta Vecchia
If you want a memorable night outside of Rome, or a way to break up the trip to or from the airport, book a suite at La Posta Vecchia. The 17th-century villa that J. Paul Getty called his “serene and heavenly home” is now a hotel owned by the Scio family, of Il Pellicano fame. Built just above a black sand beach and ringed by lovingly landscaped formal gardens, the villa retains much of the art and furniture that Getty amassed for it. Each of the nineteen rooms and suites is different, but all bear museum-quality touches, such as coffered ceilings, antique carved-wood doors, medieval tapestries and canopy beds built for royalty. There’s even a museum of Etruscan treasures, discovered during a recent renovation. For romantic settings, it’s hard to beat the exquisite indoor pool, with its arched windows facing the sea, and the oceanfront terrace, where the Mediterranean laps beneath the stone walls. Rooms from $790.
Search By Keyword
Lech is ideal for young families: safe and picturesque, with...
Thailand’s third-largest island (roughly the size of Martha’s Vineyard) has...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.