Destination: Italy: Rome
As Paris has Café Flore and London has the Wolsely, so Rome has Canova. A grand, historic watering hole in a prime location for watching the world stroll by and to enjoy a cup of coffee, morning pastry, sandwich or light meal. It draws the loyal locals as well as the well-heeled travelers staying at the nearby Hotel de Russie. You can choose to sit outside at tables facing Piazza del Popolo or inside, which has spiffed up interiors, but pays homage to the past with photos of past celebs who frequently visited like Fellini.
You definitely want to eat at one of the outdoor tables (in the front, not the back) at this Roman institution complete with sepia-toned photos. Try the artichokes and the fried carcioffi the restaurant is famous for, and don’t miss dessert, made at the bakery next door, Dolce Roma (run by the same family that owns Giggetto). You will not taste a better Sacher torte this side of the Tiber.
Obika Campo Fiori
Five years after the opening of Rome’s original mozzarella bar on Piazza dei Firenze, a second, smaller Obika opened on the Campo Fiori, and it’s been packed ever since. The premise remains the same: a menu built around the best and freshest Mozzarella di Bufala, which is paired with exceptional artisanal products to enhance the glory of the cheese. The best tables are outside with views on to the lively square. Open every day from 8 a.m. to 2 a.m.
Search By Keyword
This island nation makes a perfect, beachy conclusion to a...
Home to dozens of unsolved mysteries, the island known as...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.